Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Ham and Cheese Mini-Melts

Good morning, mommies and daddies!

Today, I am sharing with you a modified version of a recipe I saw on a cooking show today.  As soon as I saw it, I knew I could make it healthier and a smidge more kid-friendly.


I call these HAM AND CHEESE MINI-MELTS.

These are nothing more than some deli ham and cheese, some whole grain dinner rolls, a little bit of lowfat cream cheese, some italian dressing mix, and a teensy bit of butter.

Some of the players:


And in case you didn't know:  Italian dressing mix is a cheap and delicious little recipe helper to keep on hand.  It's about a dollar for three big packets of the stuff, and I only use maybe a teaspoon from each packet, when I use it.

So here's what you're gonna do with it today:  Take a teaspoon of the dressing mix, and stir it into about a quarter-cup of softened cream cheese.  It will taste sort of like a sour cream chip dip.  Now take some multi-grain dinner rolls, which are the perfect size for kids, and schmear a bit of that cream cheese mixture onto one side of the roll.



Now, layer the ham and cheese on each sandwich.


You can bake here,at 325 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes.  Or, if you're feeling a little naughty, you can melt a little hunk of buttery love:


And mix a teensy bit of that italian dressing mix into it and slather it ontop of the rolls like so:


Then, if you're me, you could shake a little grated parmesan on top.


THEN bake at 325 for 10-12 minutes or until cheesy wonderfulness is achieved.


My kids ate two each.

xoxo
Mommatrish
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Shop Inappropriate T-Shirts!